Reminders

There are two types of reminders, positive and negative.  Even when the intent is positive, they are often perceived as negative.

Reminders from peers are acceptable, but when they come from a boss directly or indirectly they imply you aren't doing your job, and that makes them hazardous.  They raise my blood pressure.

Here is how I try to avoid them:

  • Sort to-do lists by priority
  • Items that keep getting bumped back will seem forgotten so email a reminder
  • Use Astrid or an equivalent to manage lists
  • Ask for the reminder...that puts the control back in your court

Here is a sample request:

Good afternoon,

I'm in the process of prioritizing my to-do list.  Please let me know if I've overlooked one of your requests, or if you have a new one.

Thanks,

Neils

No comments:

Post a Comment