My First Letter to a Governor

                                                                              March 23, 2010
Dear Governor Christie,

I just read your letter to the President of the NJEA requesting a pay freeze.

I want to point out that I have been employed for ten years at the Maurice River Township Elementary School. I currently earn $47,334 annually. I also receive benefits that I do not pay for, but do have copays ranging from 10 to 20 dollars depending on the service.

Our school has been fiscally responsible, attempts to keep property taxes low, by rarely asking for any increases in the school tax, except when necessary to meet the debt threshold requirement (4 tenths of a cent this year if my understanding is correct) yet it seems you are asking for more than a shared sacrifice from our small district.

We are currently working without a contract, but I was hoping just to make what some nearby districts start their teachers at...

I am not requesting more from you, I'm just requesting that you don't force us to take less.

I'd like to know how much money you believe a teacher should earn, and would hope that you would think it would be at least what I am earning now.

Regards,

A Republican in Hiding

Husband/Parent
Hannah - 9
Leah - 8
Matthew - 6 months

No comments:

Post a Comment